- Taylor Stone
Oh, the places you can go in Keith County!
Spring... the time of year when the buds are blooming, the weather is warmer, and the sun is coming out to spend more time with us! Kick off this beautiful spring with these top 10 things to do in Keith County!
1. Cast your line, and I don't mean through the ice anymore! Walleye Spawn season kicks off at the beginning of April, and it's the perfect time to transition from ice fishing!
2. Grab your pals and go throw a round of frisbee golf at Wilson Park in Ogallala! But don't forget to stretch first, you might be a little rusty since last fall!
3. Get lost in those blooming buds at the Meadowlark Hill Lilac Collection the second and third weeks in May!
4. Grab your binoculars and go birding around Lake Mac to see all the different species that call Lake Mac their home. If you're lucky, you may even come across some Eagles!
5. Enjoy one of Mother Nature's wonders that is the Crane Migration near Lewellen, NE!
6. Bring your cheering voice and attend the season-opening races at Wild West Soap Box Derby!
7. Spend your day relaxing with a picnic and enjoying the beautiful weather at one of Keith County's amazing parks!
8. Round up your golf crew, don't forget to pack the sunscreen, and head out to Crandall Creek Golf Course or Bayside Golf Country Club to kick off the season!
9.Visit the Tri-Trails Park and get in a history lesson while school is still in session!
10. Pack some hot cocoa in a thermos and find a quiet place to star gaze on a beautiful, brisk spring night.
Summer time! The sun is shining the lake is calling, the golf courses are green, and all of our tourist attractions open Memorial day weekend!!! Here is our list of the top 10 things to experience in Keith County during Summer!
1. Check out Lake Mac and Lake Ogallala for some amazing fishing or to catch the waves on a tube! You can even just grab your towel and hang out on the sandy beaches all day!
2. Visit Mansion on the Hill and enjoy all the history of this beautiful mansion located right here in Ogallala.
3. Enjoy the show at Front Street Steakhouse and Saloon, I promise you will leave with a smile on your face after being serenaded by the great group of musicians, rowdy cowboys, and beautiful show girls!
4. Go take a walk up to Boot Hill! (Don't worry it's just a short hike up the hill!)
5. Grab your lawn chair and bring your appetite to Sounds on the Square every Thursday in June to dance, eat, and socialize!
6. Tee it up at Crandall Creek Golf Course or Bayside Country Club for a round of Golf!
7. Enjoy a soapbox derby right here in Ogallala on one of the only lighted tracks in Nebraska!
8. Grab your pals, pack your creativity and come out to the beach for some fun in the sun building sand castles at Kites and Castles!
9. Visit the Little Church of Keystone, you won't believe how little it really is!
10. Take a break from the sun and stop into the Most Unlikely Place to experience the uniqueness this shop has to offer!
Fall.... sweaters, boots, pumpkin spice and rodeos! The leaves are changing colors and so is the temperature but don't worry for a second, there is still plenty to do around Keith County! Attend the county fair, the Ogallala Indian Summer Rendezvous and enjoy the camaraderie around Keith County! Here is our top 10 favorite fall activities in Keith County!
1. Bring your appetite and your kiddos to the Keith County Fair! This is one you won't want to miss with all the great food and carnival rides!
2. Attend the Ogallala Indian Summer Rendezvous! Get your Jam on with one of the three bands or enjoy bucket loads of chili during the Annual Chill Cook Off!
3. I know you've probably spent so much time at the lake already but I promise it will be worth the drive to go see the landscape changing into the fall colors!
4. Go on a date night and hang out with some wildlife at Ole's Steakhouse and Lounge in Paxton!
5. Grab your boat, your camo, and your duck call and go hunt water fowl on the lake!
6. Hop in the car and take a drive to Ash Hollow as the season changes for a beautiful fall experience.
7. Take a cruise down Lincoln Highway and admire the changing landscape of fall!
8. Throw on your cowboy hat and boots and attend the Ogallala Round-Up Rodeo!
9. Swing on into Paxton and enjoy their Labor Day town celebration!
10. Drop by good 'ole Brule, Nebraska and enjoy their town celebration!
Winter, the holidays are here and so are the eagles! You may think as Jack Frost is nipping at our noses that there is nothing to do in Keith County.... but lucky for you, you're not going to have to stay couped up for the next couple of months! Get out and explore Keith County after a nice snowfall to see the eagles soaring over Lake Ogallala or the beautiful snow covered landscape of Lake Mac! Top off your outing by stopping by Slow Lane Coffee in Ogallala to warm up and enjoy some great treats! Here are our favorite things to do during winter in Keith County!
1. Visit the Eagle Viewing Center, open on the weekends, to get a close up look at America's most treasured bird! 2. Grab your pole and your heater and head out for some ice fishing! 3. After you're done playing in the snow, go Visit Slow Lane Coffee for a nice hot cup of coffee! 4. Keep your Ogallala and Paxton sports team schedules handy and attend High School Sporting Events. GO Indians and Tigers!
5. After a nice snow, grab the family and pack the winter gear and sleds and hit the slopes of this not-so-flat county!
6. When in doubt, shop the downtown areas for all the winter season deals! 7. Grab the family, your significant other, and friends to go catch a movie at Prairie View Movie Theater. 8. Visit The Petrified Wood Gallery and learn all about the different and unique art pieces featured year round! 9. Attend the November Craft Fair! Because what is the holiday season with out a little shopping and crafting! 10. Head downtown for the Annual Christmas Parade of Lights to see the local businesses hand out candy and light up the downtown! Follow that by heading over to the Annual Pancake Feed!
For a full schedule of events, activities and other ideas of what to do in Keith County please go to www.explorekeithcounty.com or give us a call at (308)284-4066!